Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Rambling and Musing and Debating On and On and On...( In Other Words, Vote for Summer!)

The funeral went well. Well over 50 people attended the service, and about 20-30 at the dinner. I learned quite a lot about my grandpa that I didn't know during the main service. I only cried when the military people did their farewell. Nearly everyone did at that point.
I find people's perspectives of me to be rather ironic. Although I have an artist's mentality and exsuffocate unimportant stuff, outwardly, I'm rather unemmotionl, and my friends and family tend to assume my behavior reflects my thoughts (this isn't altogether an illogical or uncommon assumption). I am, perhaps, one of the most overly-sensitive and dramatic people I know, but it is rarely reflected in my actions or expressions. I'm not complaining about all this; just ruminating.
Whether or not there is a solution to this--if indeed it is a problem worth the effort to solve--is debatable, considering so fiercely independent. I rebel when others pry, even when I know they have the best intentions. Of course, if I want to change, it will take initiative on my part, and self-motivation isn't really a strength of mine.
I also find it interesting that people (specifically old family friends) always comment, upon meeting me, about how much I am like my mother, when in fact, we are complete opposites. Go figure.
I used to fear eccentricity and being known as an eccentric. I don't mind it so much anymore. I like being different, thinking differently. Oh dear, I'm sounding like such a teenager. "You're unique, just like everybody else," my cousin once told me. *sighs*
Concerning the daily grind of school, we had an interesting debate class this afternoon. Beforehand, I was slightly apprehensive because I knew we would be having a spar today; last year when we did this, it was always over current events; as I haven't been keeping up on the news much lately, dread was predominant on my mind. Turns out, the resolution we were debating was a little different:
In accordance with the established rules, Summer should win. (Yes, we were arguing over Napoleon.)
We watched the speeches and skits by the two noble and fictitious candidates, wrote our rough cases, and sparred for about ten minutes. As affirmative, I won, but there were many, many improvements I could have made. It was a good excercise, though; I kind of missed the point, but it was more because of timing issues than lack of attention. Mr. H told us afterward that the mid-term test will be much the same as what we did today. We'll fill out a worksheet, make a case, and spar. Hmm. Again, I'm both apprehensive and excited about this.
Anyroad, this post is just getting longer and longer and not saying much, so I'll shut up.

"...So firm is the deep root, so established underground,
That its lone lofty boughs can dare the weight of winds..."
-Tu Fu, from "A Song of an Old Cypress"

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Post a Comment

<< Home