Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Friday, September 23, 2005

As the World Turns...

My grandpa passed away this morning. It is an ending for him, as well as a beginning...a relief, more than anything. For him, the shadow of agony is gone; glory awaits.
For those of us who remain, it is our obligation and privilege not to stop, and have to start over, but to persevere and continue through life's hardships here on earth. We must daily continue to seek beauty and truth while on the long journey toward eternity.
Though bittersweet, funerals (or graveside services, as the case may be) always have the advantage of bringing family together. It will be nice to see the many loved ones traveling the distance to bid farewell to an old friend, or brother, or grandfather...

Concerning more trivial matters, I realized today how little I watch television anymore. Except for an occasional movie, I really haven't even turned the contraption on for several weeks. Maybe it's just because of school. Who knows.

Because my aunt was down to visit this summer and was staying at our house, we borrowed a twin bed from the Autodaughters (editor's note: the name of the relatives heretofore mentioned has beeen changed to protect their identities) whereupon she could sleep. Being that I was having trouble getting comfortable at night, I decided to sleep on the aforementioned bed in hopes of actual rest. I found it quite comfortable and slept marvelously well, so I had the mattress moved to my room. Now that guests will be coming for the graveside service and likely staying at the Autodaughters' house, we have decided (most nobely) to return the property to its proper owners. So my dad and I went mattress shopping today (being that my box-spring is still fine) and found the firmest/most comfy/cheapest mattress in the store. Lo and behold, when I went to strip the bed, I found the same material on the Autodauter's bed set as the matress we had just purchased. So I ended up with the exact same model. A right fair coincidence (or providential gesture), if you ask me.

Words of the day--not found on m-w.com, curiously:
1.) fantassin (n. An infantry soldier; a foot-soldier)
2.) exsufficate (adj. Inflated or exaggerated; windy)

"It don't matter where you bury me/ I'll be home and I'll be free...When I go don't cry for me/ In my fathers arms I'll be/ The wounds this world left on my soul /Will all be healed and I'll be whole..." Emmylou Harris, from 'All My Tears'

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Blogger Qalmlea said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home