Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Ah, the Irony...

Professor Pettygrove did a demonstration in chemistry class last Friday with a Geiger counter concerning radioactivity and its use in household goods. Among the many items he tested was a pre-1960's, bright orange Fiestaware dish, which is apparently uncommonly radioactive because of the uranium used in the glaze. It was an interesting presentation, but I didn't really think much about it after class. So that evening, we're sitting around the dinner table having some creamy potato soup with muffins. We're all discussing how the day went, and I start talking about the radioactivity of various items in our house, and as I start to tell about the Fiestaware, I glance over at my mom, who is taking a bite out of her muffin, which had just been sitting on an old, slightly chipped orange piece of Fiestaware.
I'm waiting for her to develop some cool super-powers.

Brain Glitch Moment: I misread a pop-up add as saying "You have been rejected..." instead of "selected." My self-esteem was *momentaribly dragged into the depths of self-pity.

*"Momentaribly" is not in any dictionary by Webster or Random. It is a word that was accidentally coined by my pastor during a sermon. I feel he inadvertantly filled a gap in the English language. It's much better than horrinstantly or briefariously, though I'm struggling whether it should be spelled like "momenterribly"or "momenteribly" instead.
..........................................................................................
"Irony is the gaiety of reflection and the joy of wisdom" --Anatole France

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Blogger Qalmlea said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>
Blogger kate said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home