Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tomatoes and Medals

I generally don't have much appreciation for sports of any kind on TV, but I like the Olympics. Really like the Olympics. Mostly because of gymnastics in the summer and figure skating in the winter. My interests in the Olympics have branched out since then, and I enjoy watching most of the primetime events. When I was a (younger) kid, I had these pastel pink unicorn slippers that I would don and slide around on the kitchen floor, pretending I was an elegant skater, and I liked to imagine how I would choreograph songs on the radio.

Concerning real skating, however, my favour (hey, what better time than the Olympics to enjoy multiculturalism?) is shifting to the East. I've always liked the Russians. I liked the couple that won (along with the Canadians) in Salt Lake. But, honestly, I haven't been too impressed by their showing this year. The Chinese couple, Zhang & Zhang, that took silver were, in my opinion, better skaters than the Russians, Totmianina & Marinin, even though they had a fall. Their choreography was timely and artistic, whearas the Russians were more like machines, albethem, grantedly, elegant machines. I realize, of course, I have untrained eyes and there were probably many technicalities that I failed to notice. Still, as far as I'm concerned, the Zhangs quite golden.

I didn't see the beginning of the men's short program, but Plushenko must have had one outstanding performance to have such an impressive lead. I'll be interested to see the finale tonight.

Hmmm. I wonder if "albethem" is actually a word?

Labels:

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Blogger Qalmlea said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>
Blogger Fibonacci said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>
Blogger kate said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>
Blogger kate said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home