Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Crunch Time

I've been studying for my SAT's this week (a bit late, but that's my life as a procrastinator), as I will be taking the test on Saturday, bright and bloody early. My friend (whoa, the Vanessa I mentioned in the last post...*hums theme to the Twilight Zone*) lent me a book to teach this ignorant highschooler how to outsmart the system. (: Push came to shove today and I took one of the practice tests, and the results...could have been better. They were very, eh, average. I was expecting low math scores, but Critical Reading was not even what I anticipated. Looking through the solutions manual, I figured out my biggest problems (like, say, rushing through the questions, even when I had that feeling I wasn't doing it quite right), and they are, thankfully, remediable, even within thirty-six hours.
Even though I will no doubt have cardiac arrest from anxiety on Saturday morning, I'm actually not too worried right now. I'm not planning on this being my only go at the test; I plan to work through some math in the summer and hope to improve on whatever foundation I lay this weekend. With college scholarships on the line, I'll have to make a good showing.
I've never liked what I view to be the very subjective questions of the Critical Reading section. I realize they know what they're testing, but it still seems, shall we say, idiosyncratic. Now that's a good word. One thing I found humorous, though, while reviewing my mistakes, was the repetitive advice not to choose "negative" answers. Translation: Anything that contains any hint of political incorrectness is NOT the answer EST is looking for. LOL...

Labels: ,

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Post a Comment

<< Home