Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Predjudice & The Mask

I was a bit skeptical of Pride & Predjudice, as I went into it, thinking the story couldn't be told properly in 2 & 1/2 hours. It was played out so well in the 1995 BBC version--all 6 hours of it--that it didn't seem possible to measure up. And, well, it couldn't.
That said, it was a good movie, a good rendition. I liked Keira Knightly's interpretation of the story's heroine; it was quite different--more effusive, much louder, less subtle--than Jennifer Ehle, but there was not time for subtlety in the time span. Knightly made a memorable performance in a relatively short time, a performance, in my opinion, equal to Jennifer Ehle's. Most of the characters, in fact, were equal to the performances which I am familiar with, the exceptions being Charlotte, who was much more likable and distinguishable, and Mr. Bennet, who was much less likable.
What I liked about this adaptation was how real and clamorous and unrefined it made 19th Century England, especially the Bennet family's home life. The girls weren't always sitting primly & properly, sewing or knitting or talking of the weather; there were moments of near lounging, a stark contrast to the usual portayal of Austens' world. The dances were raucous; the dancers, verciferous.
All the petticoats and tophats and tea-cups and ribbons were there, yet so was a very earthy backdrop. My only complaint was the dialogue, which was rather hurried and thus, difficult to follow. Otherwise, kudos to the filmmakers for making Austen's lengthy, detailed story accessible to the less, eh, patient viewer.

In other news of Kate's movie-viewing, I finally watched The Mask of Zorro, which was nothing like I thought it would be, but good nonetheless. I was told by a quiz once that I am more like Zorro than any other legendary super or natural hero; the movie didn't explain that much, but I would never dare to breach the Internet-human covenant by doubting the veracity of what it tells me, of course.

I am hoping to blog more this week; I have two posts up my mental sleeve, but haven't had time to apply that thought as of yet. Until next time, adieu.

Labels:

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Post a Comment

<< Home