Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Unperceived Wisdom

As I've grown older (oh yes, the wise, old age of sixteen), I've increasingly noticed how the strongest people I know, and those I respect the most, tend to see themselves as weak and unworthy of honor. I find that the characteristicsor traits I cherish and desire to emulate are not those of the grand and self-aware, but those of the humble and meek--those who are great, unbeknownst to themselves. Those are my friends and teachers and neighbors who I see as truly beautiful. They serve lovingly, forgive willingly, give selflessly; they fight righteously, struggle painfully, endure eternally. Through all of life--torn and broken and joyous and enraptured and awed--they persevere.
The people who have the most intimate relationship with God are those who stumble and fall and get up and continue running the race toward the prize set before them, not those who jog along condemning those who fall while they themselves are headed off track. Those who think they are wise and good rarely are.
Of course, the concept of the meek and loving and honest being great is nothing new (as nothing is). Long ago, a Teacher with twelve followers uttered these truths in a more profound and distinct way. But Wisdom has a way of taking head knowledge and transforming it into perspective.

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Post a Comment

<< Home