Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered.
[W. H. Auden]

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Lights, Camera, Action! (Plot Not Included)

Finally saw Dead Man's Chest last night. Unimpressive, oppressively long. The first two hours rather bored me, actually, although the last half hour was engaging.
What this production severely lacked was a steady direction. Like Jack's fickle compass, it couldn't decide which direction to point. Yes, I realize those were supposed to be twists in the plot. What the writers missed was that you have to be going somewhere before you can go somewhere else. This was a film of too much action and a lot of good ideas, none of which were given enough time to breathe (or beat, as the case may be)...not that I suggest the next flick be any longer.
I thoroughly enjoyed the three-sided sword fight (yes, it was ridiculously unrealistic, but that's what made it so fun) and the entire scene on the island where Davey Jones' heart was buried; the witch lady; the re-emergence of not-Colonel Norrington; the second kraken battle; the "un-dead monkey" and "Where's the thump-thump?" lines delivered superbly by Mr. Depp (who's performance wore a bit thin in a few spots; but then I suppose it would be difficult to reprise an icon).
Obviously, the hatch was left wide open, and there is much potential for the final installment of Pirates. I just hope the writers remembered that you have to have a plot before twisting it.
Editor's Note: As I was double checking that Norrington was, in fact, a colonol in the first movie, I came across this review, which I mostly agree with, though I would still consider Dead Man's Chest to be "worth a look", if only for the special effects and the final scene(s). If I find a better link when I have time, I'll post it.

Labels:

<$BlogItemCommentsCount$>Blots:

Blogger Qalmlea said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>
Blogger Becky said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>
Blogger kate said...

<$BlogCommentsBody$>

<$BlogCommentsDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentsDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home